I'm a straight out of the bowl coleslaw kinda gal, hubby likes the coleslaw to meld with flavors, so at 24 hours he's digging into the bowl. When's the perfect time for you to eat your bowl of coleslaw?
Tucked in the back of my grandma's journal is this Sweet and Sour Coleslaw recipe, which has enough ingredients to feed a crowd. I think it would be perfect for that upcoming Tate reunion ;)
Grab a couple of huge bowls, the shredder and these ingredients...
- 10 lbs Cabbage - shredded finely
- 3 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 5 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 cups heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups vinegar
Tips and Additions:
- Mix the dressing ingredients and place in the refrigerator to chill, toss with cabbage right before serving.
- Make and mix this recipe together and let chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- Use cider vinegar for added sweetness
- Add a couple of tablespoons of celery seed
- Top with a healthy grinding of black pepper
- Stir in two to three cups of finely shredded carrots
- Fold in a large can of well-drained crushed pineapple and a cup of raisins