Bacon Spoon Bread
3-4 strips of bacon
1 cup corn meal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup boiling water
2 eggs; separated
1 cup milk
Cook bacon to crispy, crumble and set aside. Add salt to cornmeal, stir in boiling water and 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings. Beat egg yolks, add to milk and stir into cornmeal mixture. Whip egg whites to stiff peaks, fold into mixture. Pour into well greased casserole, top with crumbled bacon. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Breakfast: Top a serving of bacon spoon bread with a fried or poached egg, include a side of fruit salad.
- Lunch: Fold in 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar cheese into the cornmeal mixture, bake as directed. Serve with a steaming hot cup of tomato or vegetable soup.
- Dinner: Serve along with a green salad and your favorite roasted or barbecued meat.
- 1/2 cup of your favorite cheese; shredded and folded into the cornmeal mixture, bake as directed.
- 1 cup frozen or fresh off the cob super sweet corn; blanch just to heat through, drain and fold into the cornmeal mixture right before baking.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions; saute in butter or olive oil to tender, fold into the cornmeal mixture, bake.
- 1 small jalapeno, finely chopped and stirred into the cornmeal mixture, bake as directed.