Monday, October 12, 2009

Grandma's Love For Dogs

BubaAs much as my grandma Katie loved to cook she also had the biggest soft spot in her heart for dogs. Ours must have loved seeing her come in the door, because they probably had roast beef and Yorkshire pudding if it was on the menu. I cannot say for sure - just suspecting. I do know for sure that drippings from any of the meat pans had to top off their dinner bowls, as well as saving all the beef bones for them to nosh on the next day. Lucky dogs!

I can imagine that our big boy Buba would have been Grandma's fave today. All 110 pounds of him would be trying to fit into her lap, she would have hoisted up his back legs to help him too. Besides the occasional pan drippings, I'm into making doggie treats. I have a favorite recipe that I whip up and sell at our local farm market, as well as keep a tin full at the door - they are great motivators to get our dogs to listen and return to the porch when they are itching to run in the woods and chase coyote's.

Here is my recipe - hope your 'doggie' enjoys them as much as our's do!

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (unbleached white is fine too)
1/2 cup non-fat dry milk
1 egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients; stirring until well blended. On a lightly floured surface knead dough for two minutes. Then roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut out into desired shapes.

Tips:
~ Add more flour - a tablespoon or two at a time - if the mixture is too wet
~ I toss in a couple of small handfuls of flax seed and or raw sunflower seeds
~ Use fun shapes like hearts, small gingerbread men, ghosts, etc. People love that little touch
~ Once the treats are browned in the oven pile them all on a single cookie sheet, turn off the oven, and leave them to crunch up in the warm oven for a couple of hours or leave them in overnight.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

  1. That is one handsome dog! And lucky Bubba to have homemade treats. I too make treats for my dog Holly Bear. I'll be posting a recipe next week for her 1 year old birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh do make sure you let me know when you post your recipe - I'd love to save
    it in my recipe folder ;) Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! Those treats sound great. I especially like the beef broth in them. Dogs LOVE meat :)
    My mom bakes for me too but not as often as I'd like. Maybe I can convince her to make me some of these this week when she's making zucchini bread for everyone else...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today!